SOOO GOOD, YOU’LL NEVER KNOW THEY’RE VEGAN!
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes are my new favorite treat! This post shares a recipe for a Vegan and Gluten-Free option that is absolutely incredible! So moist that you will almost enjoy them more on the second day!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for qualifying purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
NObody will know they’re vegan
I first made these for my daughter’s Confirmation Brunch. You know that the rule is to NEVER make something for the first time when entertaining. Well, I did and it worked out AMAZING!
My instructions were to NOT make anything weird. Weird, in my daughter’s world, means gluten-free, vegan, Paleo, sugar-free, caffeine-free, etc… You get the idea. She just wanted yummy food without caring whether it was healthy for her body or even harmful. Oh, to be 16 again!
The challenge for me was that most of our guests DID care and many follow strict dietary guidelines. Fortunately, these cupcakes were so incredible that nobody could tell that they are vegan and gluten-free. There, everyone’s happy!
After the Confirmation Brunch, I also served these goodies up for the Teacher Appreciation Week Luncheon held at our high school. Unfortunately, I didn’t make enough because they were a HUGE success. These really are perfect to bring to any group gathering as there are always some people who need to watch what they eat.
Are you wondering WHY some people care about a vegan diet? Check out this post by Healthline.com.
If you have any questions about this recipe or this website, contact me!
Try our SPICE CUPCAKES too!
remember to subscribe!
If you enjoy this recipe and want to stay current with the other projects I feature, be sure to subscribe. It’s FREE and you also get first dibs on sales and events! Simply sign-up with your first name and email address below!
Recipe: lemon Blueberry cupcakes (vegan)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Almond Milk (Unsweetened)
- 5 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt (Fine)
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Flour
- 2 tsps Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Blueberries (small)
- 1/2 cup Butter (Vegan, Cubed)
- 1/3 cup Shortening (Vegan)
- Coconut Milk (Full Fat, Canned)
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour
- Chill Coconut Milk overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift together Sea Salt, Almond Flour, Gluten-Free Flour, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda. Set aside.
- Melt the Coconut Oil (I use the microwave) and then add to Almond Milk, Maple Syrup, Lemon Juice, and Vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients in parts. The batter will seem too wet but it will almost magically thicken up within a few moments.
- Fold in blueberries. You can also add the blueberries after the batter has been put into cupcake liners so you know each one has an equal amount of blueberries. They don't do well if one ends up with too many blueberries.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill cupcake pan so each liner is about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 22 minutes. Leave in pan for 5 minutes then remove too cool completely on rack. Don't ice until COMPLETELY cool!
- Make Coconut "Sour Cream". Take Coconut Milk out of refrigerator and drain coconut liquid from the cream by opening can from the bottom. Mix the cream with 2 tbsp Lemon Juice until smooth. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree the blueberries with 1 tsp Lemon Juice. Set aside.
- Whip together the butter (cold and cubed) and shortening until smooth.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp of the Coconut "Sour Cream". The remaining can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and used for another yummy baking project, such as our Spice Cupcakes.
- Add fruit puree. Mix until smooth.
- Add Powdered Sugar and Tapioca Flour in parts. More or less depending on personal preference.
- Chill until the cupcakes are completely cooled and ready for frosting.
- Pipe or spread onto cupcakes and top with a few more blueberries for garnish.
Normally cupcakes shouldn't be refrigerated as it dries them out. These, however, are SOOO moist that they can be stored in the refrigerator. This will help keep the blueberry garnish from drying out or getting moldy before you eat them. All cupcakes are best within the first two-days!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Ninja Mega Kitchen System (BL770) Blender/Food Processor with 1500W Auto-iQ Base, 72oz Pitcher, 64oz Processor Bowl, (2) 16oz Cup for Smoothies, Dough & More
USA Pan (1200MF) Bakeware Cupcake and Muffin Pan, 12 Well, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving Calories 442Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 24mgSodium 223mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 4g